The young brides in My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding are most certainly putting the meringue into wedding dresses, and they are putting the lace and flowers and then some in there too.
But while younger brides can get away with fussy dresses (if we’d got married in our 20s we’d probably have gone OTT too) once you hit your 30s it’s a bit harder to pull off a fussy wedding dress.
The two Kate’s (Moss and Middleton) managed to get it right. Kate Middy’s dress was simple enough to look great on someone 5 years older and Moss went for simplistic rock chick.
Fabat40 blogger Sharron Granger gives us her tips for a classic 30 plus wedding look.
- Avoid a veil at all costs, a fresh flower or a diamante hair clip will be far more chic.
- Keep your dress simple and wow the bridal party with designer heels, a stunning clutch bag or statement earrings.
- We have recently seen a huge trend towards brides wearing coloured shoes on their wedding day, but if you don’t have the confidence for bright red suede, metallics or sequins work really well and can be worn time and time again, unlike your classic satin ivory bridal shoe.
- If you fall in love with a strapless gown but don’t have the confidence to show off your upper arms there are some really pretty cover-ups and boleros around for all budgets. Faux fur works best for winter weddings and vintage lace for spring or summer.
- Invest in decent underwear and get properly measured. Not only will your dress look better but you will ooze confidence on the day, knowing you look the best you possibly can.
For more fashion tips read Sharron’s blog Fab at any Age.